Friday, September 20, 2013

September Obstacle: Characters in Costume Challenge...


I joined the fun September Characters in Costume Challenge, that the talented Gillian Adams has lovingly put together. 

This month we're focusing on our obstacle characters.

What is an obstacle character? 

Good question because I didn't know until I joined this challenge.

An obstacle character is any character who stands in the way of the protagonist as he/she moves toward his/her goal. Obstacle characters are generally not the main antagonist, but could be anyone from a villain's minion to a random stranger in the street to the protagonist's best friend. Regardless of who the obstacle character is, his/her beliefs or own desires or goals set him/her in the protagonist's way.

Challenge Guidelines: It's quite simple, really.

Pick one of your obstacle characters. Or, if you're not a writer, or not currently writing a story, feel free to choose an obstacle character from one of your favorite books.

Find a costume that fits your character and take a picture of yourself in said costume (and in character - i.e. if your character is prone to scowling, don't smile in the picture.)
Post the picture on your blog or somewhere online where the other Challenge members can see it. 

Feel free to write a little bit about your character too, or if it's a character from someone else's book, tell us why you chose that character!
 
Pretty cool huh?
Todays character is Gretella from my book The Realm of Hearts, book one of my series The Chronicles of the Key Holders.

(Yes that's me in the picture... hehe. And no it's not my best Photoshop job, but it was fun. I also don't have lovely red hair, but Gretella does.)

Gretella is not only an obstacle character for my protagonist (main character) in book one of my series The Chronicles of the Key Holders, but she is also in book two. I wouldn't exactly call her a villain, but she isn't exactly good either. She's a "I don't know what I'm going to do next" kind of character.

Gretella's best friend is a sea dragon named Ormanda, who only obeys her commands and runs off of her masters emotions.

She is deadly in the art of sai, the weapon choice of her country.

Following in her twin brothers footsteps in hopes of not losing him, she pushes aside her own hearts desires in order to stay close to the last person in her family, even if that means hurting friends. Gretella struggles to do what is right, but doesn't always see what "right" should be. 

Gretella is in all three books of The Chronicles of the Key Holders. She is most definitely an obstacle character because she likes to throw a wrench into things and I like her for that.


 I don't want to give too much away so I'll stop there. Be sure to check out the other participants in this fun challenge. Thank you Gillian for letting me join in again on the fun and for putting it together. I hope to join in on your next character challenge. I'll be sure to give more teasers on TROH.

For those of you  that are interested in finding our more about TROH please "Like" my facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh so cool! What an awesome picture. I love the sea dragon. And Gretella is a very cool name too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. :-) Glad you love the sea dragon and find Gretella as a cool name. This was a lot of fun. Thank you again for putting it all together.

      Delete