Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Love Revolution: Another Chance...

Since by your obedience to the Truth through the [Holy ] Spirit you have purified your hearts for the sincere affection of the brethren, [see that you] love one another fervently from a pure heart .
~1 Peter 1:22

Now we all have heard and perhaps said the phrase, "First impressions are lasting impressions." You do usually remember the first time meeting someone. You remember if they were nice, rude, grumpy, happy... you get my point. First impressions are important, but they shouldn't be the last impression.

I know without a doubt that I've given bad first impressions of myself. Through the majority of my teenage years, I was painfully shy. I'm sure I gave the impression of being snotty, when in reality I was very self-conscious of myself and I didn't really "fit-in". Teenage years can be brutal!

Have you ever seen the movie or read the book, Pride and Prejudice? A pretty good story on first impressions. There is a character in it called, Mr Darcy. When you are first introduced to him, you right away dislike him, but by the end of the movie, you love him. Don't lose the chance of really getting to know someone because they gave a poor first impression of themselves.

I once had a job interview that I had to do online. After giving all my information and past history I had to take a one hundred question psych test... I guess the grocery store really didn't want to hire any crazy people. Knowing that I should hear back in a few short days for an in person interview, I waited, believing I would be called. A week and a half went by, so I gave them a call, thinking my application didn't go through. To my surprise they informed me that I failed the psych test and did not qualify for an in person interview. Ya. that was awkward! Looking at this now it's kinda funny that a silly test would judge and tell who I am... I wonder how many questions I was allowed to fail. I wasn't really given a chance to show who I truly was. Sometimes like this test we quickly judge others and pass them up. Everyone is worth a try... even if they fail a psych test ;-)


Love/Dare Challenge Three:

Is there someone you should give another chance?
Is there someone you would like to give another impression of yourself to?
I dare you this week to personally give someone another chance, whether it be of yourself or them. Here is a good start, invite them to join you for lunch, or even more casual coffee/tea or ice-cream.

I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another. By this shall all [men] know that you are My disciples, if you love one another [if you keep on showing love among yourselves]. - John 13:34-35

I need your help (YES that means YOU) because love can’t stay silent…

Lately there has been a lot of talk about “Love”. What is Love? Everywhere we turn there is something about “Love Wins” but is it really love or something else?

I’ve been aching to do this for some time, but I can’t do this alone. Dare to Love?

Join me in the Love Revolution every week and feel free to share your stories and ideas in the comment section below or email me at ryanheart89@comcast.net
Let's not just talk about love, let's practice real love.
For some, the only love they will ever see, will be from you. You will be their glimpse of God. What an awesome privilege and responsibility. As Christians we are His hands and feet, and sometimes His smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment