Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 108: The White Lion Chronicles by Christopher Hopper...

I am a major book fanatic, especially Speculative Fiction. If you ever talk about books with me, you'll be sure to here about this series. The White Lion Chronicles by Christopher Hopper is one of my all time favs, only two other series are right next to it. This series was truly life changing for me in so many different ways... I know it sounds sorta odd, but it's true. This series made me grow closer to God and opened my heart to new beauty of the Almighty. Mr. Hopper has inspired and challenged me to be better... he is a great man of God and his beautiful family and him shine loving lights of God. This series has also inspired me with my book, The Realm of Hearts. Before reading Rise of the Dibor, I was struggling on whether or not to show Christianity in my book or have it more hidden. Mr. Hopper has guided me on the right path. C'symia.

Rise of the Dibor: Book One

About the book:
Author: Christopher Hopper
Genre: /Fiction/Fantasy/Christian
Page Count: 392
Publisher: Spearhead Books


Read the story that turned children into warriors, and warriors into legends. 
The Dairne-Reih haven’t been seen in Dionia for generations—their kind and their king, Morgui, banished long ago from haunting paradise. But when creation shows signs of deterioration, the kings of the seven realms converge in the sacred Gvindollion gathering to arrive at one inexplicable conclusion: Morgui has returned.

 In the hopes of entrusting Dionia’s brave history and perilous future to a generation that has never known war, the kings decide to raise up their young sons as an elite group of warriors, known only as the Dibor.

Gorn, legendary hero of the First Battle, is commissioned to teach the Dibor the art of war, leading them on a four-year adventure on the Isle of Kirstell. It is Luik, son of Lair, who soon emerges as the warband’s spirited front man. But he is not the only one of his peers to grow in power; his dear friend Fane discovers hidden abilities among the Mosfar under the mentorship of Li-Saide of Ot, while Princess Anorra finds that her lifelong tutor knows as much about combat as he does about etiquette.

There is little time for the Dibor to enjoy the satisfaction of graduation, however, as a sinister plot is discovered to dethrone Dionia’s kings and flatten the capital city of Adriel. The Dibor are summoned to war, along with the rest of Dionia’s fighting men. It is before the gates of Adriel Palace that Luik and his army face Morgui's prince, Valdenil, as well as the unending ranks of the Dairne-Reih.
 

My Review:
The new edition is much greater than the first edition, with better editing, all new material such as a great character guild, an Author Page on his journey of writing his book, and a new map. It also has a different page layout, which gives it a neat feel.  

Rise of the Dibor, is a beautiful story and will always be one of my all time favorites. It's very unique, moving, and a tale to not be forgotten. His characters are lovely and detailed, even though he has many, you bond to every one. His story is passionate and very touching... this book is fiction, but you will be greatly moved by the spiritual themes.

If you crave a book full of heart, with lots of adventure, characters that you can feel and love, and a deep message, then I guarantee you will greatly enjoy, Rise of the Dibor.

I must give you a warning though and only one... the first time I read this book it took me a year... I'm sadly not joking on this. Now mind you I am a slow reader (I read a lot, but can't read fast). The beginning of Rise of the Dibor starts a little slow and has a bit of a learning curve with CH's beautiful new language and many different characters to learn. This was really the first detailed fantasy book I read, so it took me some time to get used to. I was working full time at the time and would read it during my breaks and sadly didn't like it, so I stopped around page 50.  I let the book set for six months and then picked it up again (it was calling me... haha) Once you get past the 100 page mark I promise you will be hooked... I finished it in one week( which is fast for me) and right away ordered the sequel.

In 2008 and half way through reading the sequel, I had the great privilege of meeting Christopher Hopper and seven other awesome authors(another favorite of mine Wayne Thomas Batson) on the West Coast Motiv 8 Fantasy Fiction Tour. One of my biggest highlights and has lead to many blessings of great friendships across the country.

To purchase the new edition of Rise of the Dibor go to (you support the author more by purchasing direct at)  https://www.createspace.com/3618531

or you can purchase from here  http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Dibor-White-Lion-Chronicles/dp/1463519664/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320678027&sr=8-2

The kindle version is currently for free for Amazon Prime members or a steal for $2.99 (if you are not a Prime member)  http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Dibor-White-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B007D44TB2/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334722943&sr=1-1


The Lion Vrie: Book Two

About the book:
Author: Christopher Hopper
Genre: /Fiction/Fantasy/Christian
Page Count:487
Publisher: Spearhead Books


The only way to survive is to kill the ones you love.

Having barely escaped the siege of Adriel with his life, Luik is carried north to the realm of Tontha in an effort to weather Morgui’s all-out assault on Dionia. Here he sorts through the trauma of the recent past and attempts to piece together the whereabouts of his scattered Dibor, as well as his friends Fane, Hadrian, and Princess Anorra.

When work begins on fortifying Mt. Dakka, Luik returns to the wreckage of Adriel and uncovers far more than he had anticipated. Events unfold quickly, and his path is plagued by mysterious encounters with the taken, and haunted by the increasing effects of evil upon Creation.

However the growing darkness also gives rise to the forces of good, including rumors of the mythical Knights of the Lion. Summoned by the suffering of his countrymen, Luik risks everything in search of the fabled City of Ot, and his men embark on perilous missions to rescue the far corners of Dionia.

But on the battlefield each faction of Luik’s devout Dibor comes face to face with the greatest opposition of all. Evil, now matured into its most perverted form, pits mankind against itself: father against son, brother against brother. To hesitate means death; to strike means killing those they’ve sworn to protect.

My Review:
The Lion Vrie, is much darker and much longer (biggest out of the trilogy). It continues were book one left off (CH is killer at cliff hangers, especially on book two).
 Mr. Hopper is very talented and wrote it beautifully sad with the separation against the Almighty and the battle against each other. War is so ugly, even uglier against each other... unlike the Dairne-Reih from book one, our beloved characters are fighting family and friends.  
The "Taken" broke my heart, especially in, Chapter 3 Seducing The Lost, it greatly hung with me and greatly touched me later on. I won't forget it.
The Lion Vrie has a bit more romance in it, a lot more war, beautiful writing, and an awful mean cliff hanger. It has taken three (long) years for me to find out what happened to the characters and the world of Dionia, that I greatly cherished. 

To purchase the new edition of The Lion Vrie go to (you support the author more by purchasing direct at)  https://www.createspace.com/3649857
  
or you can purchase from here http://www.amazon.com/The-Lion-Vrie-Chronciles-Chronicles/dp/1463706014/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334723164&sr=1-1

The kindle version is currently for free for Amazon Prime members or a steal for $2.99 (if you are not a Prime member) http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Vrie-White-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B007D44X0E/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1334723164&sr=1-1

 
Arthera's Dawn: Book Three

About the book:
Author: Christopher Hopper
Genre: /Fiction/Fantasy/Christian
Page Count: 421
Publisher: Spearhead Books

Those in deepest darkness fight most valiantly for the light.

Hard pressed on every side, the Dibor struggle to overcome insurmountable odds in an effort not just to regain territory, but to survive.

In addition to the growing ranks of the taken, Morgui has summoned the powers of nature to search out and destroy the saviors of Dionia. Tempests hunt those forced to flee by sea, while an otherworldly fire storm chews up the ancient forest of Grandath, destroying anything - or anyone - in its path.

While most of the Dibor manage to survive, the whereabouts of the ill-fated Princess Anorra continues to be unknown. Her faithful friends are unaware of her suffering behind the gates of Haides.

The remaining Dibor soon discover that there is more to Morgui's madness than simple mayhem, as the dwarves reveal startling knowledge about the Two Trees, and worse still, about Morgui's attempt to forever thwart the Most High's plan for victory.

As Creation itself endures death throes caused by mounting evil, one thing is clear: Dionia and her champions will never be as they once were. Nor will those in worlds beyond.

My Review:
Last year I had one of the biggest honors that I have ever been given. Christopher Hopper gave me the opportunity to be a "proof" reader. I was given a fun task of looking over the new editions of Rise of the Dibor and The Lion Vrie, and an advance reading of Athera's Dawn.

I devoured  Athera's Dawn in five days. I didn't sleep much that week, but it was worth it! I was very satisfied with it, no disappointments at all and I think most fans will say the same thing! From the very first chapter, to the final page.

Mr Hopper really, really pulled on the heartstrings in this one... I was so sad to see some of the great characters die. The first  two big known characters who die (I won't spoil it by telling their names) scene was tragic, yet touching... I had to read that page over a few times, because I couldn’t believe it. Another character's death, came as a bigger shock to me. Many Characters die in this final book, but I rejoiced over seeing others return, some were a BIG surprise. 

I loved the spiritual themes with sin, our hearts, the two trees, and redemption. I really liked how Mr Hopper wrote it, without hiding it into the story.  I also liked the great white lion better than Aslan... I think his version is stronger ;-) 

Athera’s Dawn was beautifully written! I don’t think it will leave my mind for some time. I thought about it every day for a month after reading it.
I truly can never thank Christopher Hopper enough for giving me this opportunity. His books have really touched me and it was a huge honor to be a proofie. I never thought I would ever have my name in a book, especially one of my favorites.( How many fans get that opportunity?) This will be something I will always cherish and never forget. What a wonderful blessing!


To purchase Athera's Dawn go to (you support the author more by purchasing direct at) https://www.createspace.com/3723285

or you can purchase from here http://www.amazon.com/Atheras-Dawn-White-Chronciles-Chronicles/dp/1467932671/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

The kindle version is currently for free for Amazon Prime members or a steal for $2.99 (if you are not a Prime member)  http://www.amazon.com/Atheras-Dawn-White-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B007D44YE4/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334723706&sr=1-2

My Praise for the series:
The White Lion Chronicles is a beautiful series, you will forever be changed after reading them. They are so touching you’ll cry tears of sorrow and joy. Christopher Hopper has profoundly written about the separation from God, sin, and the great sacrifice of what Jesus did for us. We all are in need of a Savoir, even in a world that seems perfect. This series is so incredibly moving you can’t help, but be in awe. I highly recommend reading these books!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking so much valuable time to read, critique and support my books, Ryan. It really means so much. Still remember meeting you and your wonderful family, too! You guys are all amazing. I'm honored by your words.

    ch:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly my pleasure! Thank you Christopher Hopper :-) Very touched by you!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this thorough and most intriguing review! It's not very often that I find books with the power to change hearts/lives/faith. Thanks for pointing it out to me! I'll definitely be reading it :)

    ReplyDelete