Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day Five: Give Another Chance...

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. ~1 John 4:7
This is My commandment: that you love one another [just] as I have loved you. ~John 15:12
Since by your obedience to the Truth through the [Holy ] Spirit you have purified your hearts for the sincere affection of the brethren, [see that you] love one another fervently from a pure heart .~1 Peter 1:22



Now we all have heard and perhaps said the phrase, "First impressions are a lasting impression."  You do usually remember the first time meeting someone. You remember if they were nice, rude, grumpy, ect. First impressions are important, but they shouldn't be the last impression.

I know without a doubt that I've given bad first impressions of myself. Through the majority of my teenage years, I was painfully shy. I'm sure I gave the impression of being snotty, when in reality I was very self-conscious of myself.
Have you ever seen the movie, Pride and Prejudice? A pretty good movie on first impressions. There is a character in it called, Mr Darcy. When you are first introduced to him, you right away dislike him, but by the end of the movie, you love him. Don't lose the chance of really getting to know someone because they gave a poor first impression of themselves.
I once had a job interview that I had to do online. After giving all my information and past history I had to take a one hundred question psych test... I guess the grocery store really didn't want to hire any crazy people. Knowing that I should hear back in a few short days for an in person interview, I waited, believing I would be called. A week and a half went by, so I gave them a call, thinking my application didn't go through. To my surprise they informed me that I failed the psych test and did not qualify for an in person interview. Looking at this now it's kinda funny that a silly test would judge and tell who I am... I wonder how many questions I was allowed to fail. I wasn't really given a chance to show who I truly was. Sometimes like this test we quickly judge others and pass them up. Everyone is worth a try... even if they fail a psych test ;-)
 

Is there someone you should give another chance?

Is there someone you would like to give another impression of yourself to?

2 comments:

  1. What a thought-provoking post, to be sure, Ryan. Thanks so much for the encouragement to not let first impressions remain lifelong impressions! I know that I had a strange first impression of several people who later became my best friends, and I'm pretty sure I've given false impressions to others, too. Especially now as I'm beginning life in a new country, I need to be careful of judging others and presenting myself well. Thanks for the timely reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sienna, for stopping by :-) I'm so glad you enjoyed this post and found it helpful. May God guild you on your new journey of being in a new country.
    God's care,
    ~Ryan

    ReplyDelete