Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 72: Becoming Friends With Those You Call Un-Friendly... Reaching Out...

"You are more righteous than I," he said. "You have treated me well, but I have treated you badly."
 ~1 Samuel 24:17


I have shared a few stories on my puppy Wyatt  “Day23:Prayer-Googling-and-Dog Whispering”
Today I would like to share a story that I hope you will understand what I aiming for.

Wyatt has been a very hard puppy for my family and I. We have had a lot of ups and downs. Secretly I really hated this guy and wished for him to magically go away. Wyatt had aggressively bitten me on my right hand that will now forever hold a little scare. He wouldn't allow me to pet him in certain places like his face and belly, and would give me this really evil growl. He was very protective over my mom's and dad's room, which I have to go through every day to use the shower and do laundry.

In all my life I have never held any fear over dogs, but he quickly planted a horrible fear over "man's best friend." I truly hated him and felt like he did me too.

Today I am in love with Wyatt and he is with me. I can pet him any place on his body and he loves it, especially Ttouch between the eyes. I can freely enter my mom's and dad's room without him pushing me out. He listens to simply commends (still working on the come here outside) and is eager to please. Of curse some days he can drive me a little crazy, he is still a puppy after all, but I really care for him and enjoy his friendship

We all have been mistreated by someone. Had our heart broken and a seed of pain planted deep within us. We all have sadly done this to others too in our lifetime.

My turnaround with Wyatt wasn't an overnight thing. It took time, work, and dedication. I decided to try to bond with him. Reach out, which slowly developed a friendship. I swallowed my anger, pride, and fear.

Wyatt is just a stupid animal and didn't necessarily mean the things I perceived it to be. Sometimes us humans are the same way. We all have our own story... we all have a different vision on our own self hurt. And we are too sensitive when it comes to our own heart's.

If we get mistreated by someone we quickly assume them to be a bad person and stay away. We avoid on trying to have a friendship, because of our own hurt. Perhaps that person never meant to treat you that way. Perhaps they didn't know it would hurt you. Perhaps they were having a really bad day and weren’t thinking like they normally would. Perhaps they have been mistreated so much, they don't bother reaching out, because they fear being hurt again.

My challenge to you, is to instead of seeing the way you think it is, see it as the opposite person may see it. Perhaps you may see things in a very different light if you “put on their shoes” so to speak.  No harm comes to reaching out and better yet, you might make a friendship of blessings. What would you rather have?

Good sense makes a man restrain his anger, and it is his glory to overlook a transgression or an offense. ~Proverbs 19:11

No comments:

Post a Comment